A macaroni dressing room [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A macaroni dressing room [graphic]
- A macaroni dressing room [graphic]
- W., I., active 1772, printmaker
- Darly, M. publisher.
- Published / Created
- [26 June 1772]
- Publication Place
- Pub. according to act June 26th, 1772, by MDarly, (39) Strand
A group of macaronis in a dressing room, one having his hair dressed by a flamboyant hairdresser and his young black assistant, another practising fencing, a third plays with his pet cockatoo, another looks down at a servant boy who is spilling a tray of cups. The pictures on the wall allude to the action ("Morning Devotion") and themes (Rotten Row Macaroni) in the print; also an ornate mirror is centered in the room on the wall. On the floor is a sheet with the Newmarket horse races listed. The man having his hair tended wears beauty patches on his cheek
Title etched below image.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on top edge.
For another version of this design in reverse, see no. 4781 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 4.
On leaf 18.
1 print : etching with engraving on laid paper ; plate mark 25.3 x 35.2 cm, on sheet 27.5 x 44.4 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 25 x 35.3 cm, on sheet 26 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 18. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1772
Etchings England London 1772
- etching with engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1772
England > London > 1772
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)