Courier Francois [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Courier Francois [graphic]
- Courier Francois [graphic]
- Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778, printmaker
Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811, artist.
Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778, publisher.
- Published / Created
- July 1st, 1771.
- Publication Place
- Pubd. by T. Scratchley accor. to act
A French courier rides a galloping post-horse to the left while raising his whip; a building with the sign "Poste Royale" is visible in the background
Title etched below image.
Initial letters of artist's name in signature form a monogram.
T. Scratchley is the pseudonym of Matthias Darly.
One of several prints after Bunbury of similar design and varying size. See no. 5056 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
On leaf 22.
1 print : etching with rocker and drypoint on laid paper ; plate mark 25.2 x 35 cm, on sheet 27.5 x 44.4 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 25.2 x 35.2 cm, on sheet 27 x 38 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 22. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)