Courier Francois [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Courier Francois [graphic]
- Courier Francois [graphic]
- Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778, printmaker
Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811, artist.
Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [1 January 1772]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. accordg. to act Jany. 1st, 1772, by T. Scratchley
A French courier rides a galloping post-horse to the left while raising his whip; a building with the sign "Poste Royale" is visible in the background
Title etched below image.
T. Scratchley is the pseudonym of Matthias Darly.
Early state. For reissue with different imprint, see no. 5056 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on bottom edge.
Plate numbered "4" in upper right corner.
Second of two plates on leaf 31.
1 print : etching with rocker and drypoint on laid paper ; plate mark 17.9 x 25.2 cm, on sheet 44.4 x 27.5 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 17.9 x 26 cm, on sheet 19 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 31. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1772
Etchings England London 1772
- etching with rocker and drypoint ; and laid paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1772
England > London > 1772
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)