The Spital Fields phaeton [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > The Spital Fields phaeton [graphic].
- The Spital Fields phaeton [graphic].
- Published / Created
- Jany. 5, 1773.
- Publication Place
- Pub. accord. to act by M. Darly, 39 Strand
"An obese citizen sits in a small heavily-built phaeton, drawn (left to right) by a clumsy pony ridden by an elderly postilion with a wooden leg, ambling slowly along. ... Behind the carriage stands a footman in macaroni dress; his master is dressed in a more old-fashioned manner."--British Museum online catalogue, description of reissued state
Title etched below image.
Later of the two known states, with additions to the design and with different plate number. For the earlier state, see Lewis Walpole Library call no.: 773.01.05.01.1.
Plate numbered "V. 2" in upper left corner and "10" in upper right corner.
Plate later reissued by R. Sayer with a different title. Cf. No. 5176 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Temporary local subject terms: Vehicles: Phaeton -- 'Cits' -- Domestic service: Footman -- Postilions -- Wooden legs.
First of two plates on leaf 40.
1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 17.8 x 25.2 cm, on sheet 44.4 x 27.5 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 17.9 x 25.2 cm, on sheet 20 x 27 cm
- [2nd state].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 40. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1773
Etchings England London 1773
- etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
Carriages & coaches
Dandies > British
Carriages & coaches
England > 1773
England > London > 1773
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)