Ganymede & Jack-Catch [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Ganymede & Jack-Catch [graphic]
- Ganymede & Jack-Catch [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Ganymede and Jack-Catch
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Pubd. 39 Strand by MDarly
"Samuel Drybutter, a well-known homosexual, standing in fetters whole length in profile to left, conversing with Jack Catch (or Ketch, the public hangman) who holds a halter in his right hand and says, "Dammee Sammy your a sweet pretty creature & I long to have you at the end of my String", to which Drybutter replies, "You don't love me Jacky"."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Date of publication from the Catalogue of engraved British portraits.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Imperfect; first word "Dammee" in Jack Catch's speech bubble has been erased from sheet. Missing text supplied from impression in the British Museum.
Plate numbered "V. 3" in upper left corner and "9" in upper right corner.
Temporary local subject terms: John Ketch -- Capital punishment: Manacles.
First of two plates on leaf 47.
- 1 print : plate mark 25.5 x 17.7 cm, on sheet 27.5 x 44.4 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 47. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1771
Etchings England London 1771
- etching on laid paper ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Drybutter, Samuel, 1729-1787
- Subject (Topic)
Drybutter, Samuel, 1729-1787 > Portraits
England > 1771
England > London > 1771
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)