The consultation [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > The consultation [graphic].
- The consultation [graphic].
- Darly, M. publisher.
- Published / Created
- [27 April 1774]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. April 27, 1774, by MDarly, 39 Strand
"A man with the profile of an animal, perhaps a sheep, wearing gown and bands, holds a large tie-wig of the kind worn by judges in his left hand, the fingers of his right hand are held out as if in calculation; he looks at himself in an ornately framed oval mirror on the wall with an expression of singular imbecility. An open door in the back wall shows rows of books in a book-case: on its lintel stands a bust. An oval (half length) portrait hangs on the left of the door, it is of a man in wig and bands, probably the subject of the caricature. Two high-backed chairs are the only furniture of the room."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Two lines of text below title: To wig - or not to wig, that is the question.
Sheet partially trimmed within plate mark.
Plate numbered "V. 3" in upper left corner and "14" in upper right corner.
Temporary local subject terms: Pictures amplifying subject: Portrait of a man in a wig.
First of two plates on leaf 49.
1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 17.5 x 23.7 cm, on sheet 44.4 x 27.5 cm.
- 1 print : sheet 19 x 24 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 49. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1774
Etchings England London 1774
Watermarks (Paper) G R.
- etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1774
England > London > 1774
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)