Morning preparation [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > Morning preparation [graphic].
- Morning preparation [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [25 February 1785]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. Feby. 25th, 1785, by H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
"A companion print to British Museum Satires No. 6791. Fox, North, and Burke in a poverty-stricken room: North (left), seated in a low arm-chair, leans back yawning, arms above his head, legs stretched out. On the wall above his head hangs a broken pair of bellows, emblem of his Borean blast. Burke, (right), very thin, seated on a three-legged stool, is mending the breeches which he has taken off. Behind his head is a spider in the centre of a cobweb. Between and behind them stands Fox, in the attitude of an orator, right arm raised, rehearsing a speech and regarding himself in a cracked mirror (right) which reflects his anxious and gloomy expression. Above his head a dark lantern, emblem of a conspirator, hangs on the wall (cf. British Museum Satires No. 6784, &c)."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from the British Museum catalogue.
Publication date of 25 April 1785 supplied by the British Museum catalogue for an impression lacking the imprint statement; this date apparently based on that of the companion print entitled: Evening consolation.
Temporary local subject terms: Furniture: Armchairs -- Broken bellows -- Lighting: Dark lantern -- Emblems: Dark lantern of conspiracy -- Bellows as emblem of Ld. North.
Mounted on verso of leaf 91.
1 print : aquatint and etching on laid paper ; plate mark 36 x 25.6 cm, on sheet 39.3 x 25.9 cm, mounted to 44.4 x 27.5 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 35.7 x 25.7 cm, on sheet 36 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Verso of leaf 91. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1785
Aquatints England London 1785
Etchings England London 1785
- aquatint and etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
North, Frederick, Lord, 1732-1792
- Subject (Topic)
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 > Caricatures and cartoons
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
North, Frederick, Lord, 1732-1792 > Caricatures and cartoons
Politicians > England
England > 1785
England > London > 1785
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)