A Hibernian antique, turn'd modern macaroni [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A Hibernian antique, turn'd modern macaroni [graphic].
- A Hibernian antique, turn'd modern macaroni [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Hibernian antique, turned modern macaroni
- Darly, M. publisher.
- Published / Created
- Feby. 5, 1773.
- Publication Place
- Pubd. by MDarly, (39) Strand
"Whole length portrait of a man in profile to the right. He appears to have a scar on his cheek. He wears a bulky coat with a wide collar, a large neckcloth. In his left hand is a curiously shaped walking-stick. Except for his small looped hat there is nothing of the macaroni about his dress."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Plate numbered "v. 6" in upper left corner and "5" in upper right corner.
For a variant (earlier?) state without plate numbering, see no. 5152 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Temporary local subject terms: Macaronies -- Walking-sticks -- Small looped hats -- Hibernians -- Male costume: Old-fashioned Irish -- Irish greatcoats.
Second of three plates on leaf 95.
- 1 print : plate mark 17.8 x 13 cm, on sheet 27.5 x 45 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State with volume and plate numbers].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 776D
- Collection Title
- Leaf 95. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1773
Etchings England London 1773
- etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress
Clothing & dress > Ireland > 1770-1780
Dandies > Irish
England > 1773
England > London > 1773
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)