A collection of emblemes, ancient and modern : quickened vvith metricall illvstrations, both morall and divine : and disposed into lotteries, that jnstruction, and good counsell, may bee furthered by an honest and pleasant recreation / by George Wither ; the first [-fourth] booke.
- A collection of emblemes, ancient and modern : quickened vvith metricall illvstrations, both morall and divine : and disposed into lotteries, that jnstruction, and good counsell, may bee furthered by an honest and pleasant recreation / by George Wither ; the first [-fourth] booke.
- Wither, George, 1588-1667
- Published / Created
- [1634-] 1635.
- Publication Place
- [Printer's mark] London :
- Printed by A.M. for Iohn Grismond, and are to be sold at the signe of the Gunne in Ivie-Lane,
Added t.p. illustrated, reading: Emblemes. Illustrated by Geo. Wither.
First edition, with Grismond imprint.
Sig. Nn1 misnumbered N1 ; errors in pagination.
Signature *2, second count, misbound before signature *1, secound count. First two leaves ("Preposition" and illustrated t.p.) mounted ; signature Oo3 inlaid and inserted reversed ; last leaf (woodcut dials) wanting ; some leaves slightly bled at the top ; water-stained. Polished brown calf binding, tooled in gold and blind, gilt edges. "Bought of Duffield, Bath, 1822" inscribed on fly-leaf. Armorial bookplate of the Syston Park library, with a small bookplate, containing the monogram J.H.T. (i.e. John Hayford Thorold) within an engraved oval, pasted below. In the Huntington copy of the Grismond issue signature K is marked *.
Signatures: 3 l. unsigned, *3-4A4, 1 l. unsigned, A-I4K2L-S4*2V-Z4Aaa-Dd4*2Ff-Oo4.
The 200 plates of the emblems were engraved by Crispijn van de Passe and appeared originally in the Emblemata sacra of Rollenhagius, 1611-1613 (Cf. H. Green, Andrea Alciati, 1872, p. 248-260, etc.).
The arrangement of the preliminary matter in the different issued described in the Hoe, Grolier Club, and Huntington catalogues varies.
Wither's portrait on verso of 8th p.l. ; title and text within lined borders ; woodcut initials and printer's ornaments.
Without general t.p. ; each book has special t.p. ; books 2-4 have imprint: London, Printed by Avgvstine Mathevves. 1634.
- 10 p.l., 1-62, , 63-124, , 135-196, , 209-270,  p. : illus. ; 30 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Ih W773 +635b
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record