- Published / Created
- 1936, n.d.
- Collection consists of drafts and transcriptions of essays by African American authors on the history and culture of African Americans in the United States and on African American contributions to the arts. Essays documenting historical experiences of African Americans cover religion in the Colonial era, the anti-slavery movement, and the underground railroad. Essays documenting African American cultural forms cover dance, literature, and theater, and feature several pieces on music, including songs of protest, spirituals, and folk music. Many essays in the collection also document contributions of individual African Americans, including James Weldon Johnson, Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Paul Robeson, and William Christopher Handy. Contributing authors include Wesley Curtwright, Ralph Ellison, Lawrence Gellert, Abram Hill, Claude McKay, Henry Lee Moon, Ted Poston, and others.
Purchased from William Reese Co. on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2008.
The Federal Writers' Project (FWP) was established in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- JWJ MSS 40
- Collection Title
- Federal Writers' Project Negro Group papers
- Collection/Other Creator
- Federal Writers' Project (N.Y.)
- Collection Date
- Collection Note
- Michelson, Samuel
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 13
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- United States.--Works Progress Administration (N.Y.)
- Subject (Topic)
African American artists
African American authors--20th century
African Americans--Social life and customs
Antislavery movements--United States
Authors, American--20th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Federal Writers' Project Negro Group Papers. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record