The lyfe of Castruccio Castracani Prince of Lucca written in Italian by Nicolo Macchiavelli done into English by J.B., 1651.
- The lyfe of Castruccio Castracani Prince of Lucca written in Italian by Nicolo Macchiavelli done into English by J.B., 1651.
- J. B.
- Manuscript on paper, in a single secretary hand, of an English translation of Macchiavelli's biography of Castracani. This volume also includes, in a variety of hands, "Short Collections on natural history," calculations for the "Dimensions of England," a multiplication table and conversion table for beer and ale, puzzles, a collection of recipes for making colored ink titled "Profitable receipts taken out of Mathers Yong mans companion," a Latin dialogue between "Puer" and "Preceptor" titled "Colloquia Familiaria," and a Latin text with 14 chapters titled "Ars Logica."
Binding: full sheep (front board missing).
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
On first flyleaf: "Charles Darwin, No. 112."
On last two pages: pen trials, including calligraphic drawings and the alphabet.
Paper has gilt edges.
This translation differs widely from Edward Dacre's version, published in 1640.
- 1 v. (127 p.) ; 15 x 10 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn b57
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Commonplace books.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Lucca (Italy)
- Subject (Name)
Mather, W.--(William),--fl. 1695.
Niccolo Machiavelli,--1469-1527.--Vita di Castruccio Castracani.
- Subject (Topic)
English prose literature--17th century.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- J. B., The Lyfe of Castruccio Castracani Prince of Lucca. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record