Shrine in the Chapel [art original]
Lewis Walpole Library > Shrine in the Chapel [art original]
- Shrine in the Chapel [art original]
- Kirgate, Thomas, 1734-1810, artist
- Cavallini, Pietro, active 13th century-14th century, designer.
- Published / Created
- [not after 1810]
- Publication Place
Drawing of the shrine, designed by Pietro Cavallini, that was brought to the Chapel at Strawberry Hill from Rome in 1768. Four twisted Corinthian columns form the base of the shrine; four smaller columns, various panels of intricate decoration, and an ornate roof comprise the upper portion of the object. Sitting beneath the shrine is the cross, inlaid with mother-of-pearl, that was bought by Horace Walpole at the sale of Richard Bateman in 1774
Title written in ink below image, on mounting page.
Signed by the artist in lower left.
Date based on artist's death date.
Inlaid on page 82a in Thomas Kirgate's extra-illustrated copy of: Walpole, H. A description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole ... Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, MDCCLXXXIV .
- 1 drawing : sheet 25.7 x 19 cm, inlaid to 28.9 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Quarto 33 30 Copy 6
- Collection Title
- Page 82a. Description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole ...
- Collection/Other Creator
- Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797.
- Collection Date
- Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, MDCCLXXXIV 
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Wash drawings British 19th century
Watercolors British 19th century
- pen and gray wash with watercolor ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
- Subject (Topic)
Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
British > 19th century
Kirgate, Thomas, 1734-1810 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Thomas Kirgate, Shrine in the Chapel. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)