Portolano for the western Mediterranean.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Portolano for the western Mediterranean.
- Portolano for the western Mediterranean.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
Manuscript portolan chart, on parchment, for the western Mediterranean, showing the coasts of North Africa, Italy, Spain, France and the British Isles.
Damaged: coastline of Greece missing; severe fading.
Decoration: illustrations of five emblematic rulers and one of the Virgin Mary at the top of the portolan; three compass roses and strapwork.
Purchased from Richard A. Linenthal (Bonham's London sale 320752, 2013 June 19, lot 62) on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2013.
- 1 sheet : parchment ; 750 x 665 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 1191
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--Italy--16th century.
Manuscripts, Renaissance--Italy--16th century.
Portolan charts--Italy--16th century.
- Resource Type
- Maps, Atlases & Globes
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscript maps--Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Portolano for the Western Mediterranean.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information