Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Poesie Inglesi
- Poesie Inglesi
- Magalotti, Lorenzo, conte, 1637-1712, collector
- Published / Created
- [late 17th century].
A collection of copies of about 36 English poems, in various hands, many of them satirical and bawdy. Political and social satires include Thomas Brown's Melting Downe The Plate, Or The Pisspotts Farewell; John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester's Satire Against Reason and Mankind; and an excerpt from Samuel Butler's Hudibras. The volume also contains several sexually explicit satires against women, as well as numerous serious poems, which include an excerpt from Contention Of Ajax And Ulysses by James Shirley, attributed in the manuscript to the Earl of Orrery; an excerpted description of heaven from Abraham Cowley's Davideis; and John Denham's Cooper's Hill.
Binding: enfolded by a paper cover.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
The piece titled "A Song composed by the Earle of Orrery" is accompanied by a letter signed "Thomas Style" and addressed to "Signor Lorenzo Magallotti."
- 1 v. (64 p.) ; 33 x 22 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Osborn fb66
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Commonplace books
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
Great Britain--Politics and government
Great Britain--Social life and customs--17th century
- Subject (Name)
Brown, Thomas, 1663-1704
Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680--Hudibras
Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667
Denham, John, Sir, 1615-1669
Donne, John, 1572-1631
Dryden, John, 1631-1700
Magalotti, Lorenzo, conte, 1637-1712
Orrery, Roger Boyle, Earl of, 1621-1679
Rochester, John Wilmot, Earl of, 1647-1680
Shirley, James, 1596-1666
- Subject (Topic)
English poetry--17th century
English wit and humor
Political poetry, English
Verse satire, English
Women--Conduct of life
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Lorenzo Magalotti, Poesie Inglesi. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)