[The golden asses] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [The golden asses] [art original].
- [The golden asses] [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Punch party [from Watson]
- Patch, Thomas, 1725-1782, artist
- Published / Created
- [not after 1782]
- Publication Place
Thirty-seven men gather in a large room with a painted ceiling and a tessellated marble floor. They drink and converse in small groups. Some are seated at small tables. Servants provide coffee and punch. At the far right, the artist Thomas Patch, seated on the statue of a golden ass, holds a palette and painting stick. The front of the pedestal is inscribed: EREXIT| ANNO | [MD]CCLXI. A lengthy doggerel Italian verse is on the side. Seven canvases hang on the walls. From left to right they are an abbé, perhaps Anton maria Bisconi), Sir Henry Mainwaring, Lord Stamford, the Duke of Roxburghe Doune (later Earl of moray), the Rev. Johnathan Liyeatt, and on the right wall, a parody of a classical picture with Patch in Roman costume. Humorous statuettes represent the four continents. Some of the figures have been identified, including John Althorp, Duke of Roxburghe who is handing a letter to Horave Mann, Lord Cowper, Sir brooks Bridges and Charles Boothby. Other possible identities include Lord Grantham, Thomas Robinson, Lord Torrington and James White. At the center foreground a dog, perhaps Patch’s own, is seated on the floor with a collection of wine coolers and bottles
Title from 2005 Christie's appraisal.
Alternative title from Watson: A punch party.
Inscribed on the front of the plinth: EREXIT/ANNO/[M]DCCLXI.
For more information see Object File in Flat File 35.
- 1 painting : framed to 78 x 143 in.
No linguistic content
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- LWL Ptg. 133 Framed, on view in Reading Room
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Oil paintings (visual works)
- oil on canvas ;
- Resource Type
- still image
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Thomas Patch. The Golden Asses. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)