Life of Oppian, etc.
- Life of Oppian, etc.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper of 1) Life of Oppian. 2) Summary of the poem in art. 1. 3) Scholia on Oppian, Halieutica, attributed to Tzetzes. 4) Paraphrasis of Oppian, Cynegetica, attributed to Tzetzes.
Binding: Nineteenth century (?). Limp vellum case; remains of tawed skin ties. Lettering in ink on spine.
Headings and simple initials in red. A few diagrams to illustrate text, mainly geometrical figures showing the elements of the cosmos (ff. 31r-32v), but also one stemmatic diagram illustrating the divisions of fishing (f. 72v).
Purchased from C. A. Stonehill with funds from the Jacob Ziskind Charitable Trust in 1957 (MS 42).
Script: Written by Andreas Darmarius in Salamanca and dated 17 November 1580.
Watermarks: similar to Briquet Croix latine 5683 and Main 11292.
- ff. i + 176 + ii : paper ; 289 x 201 (215 x 103) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 269
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Renaissance--Spain--16th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Oppian, active 2nd century
Tzetzes, John, active 12th century
- Subject (Topic)
Greek poetry, Hellenistic
Hunting--Early works to 1800
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Life of Oppian, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 269.
- Orbis Record
- More Information