De bello Judaico.
- De bello Judaico.
- Josephus, Flavius
- Published / Created
- [between 1125 and 1150]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment (monastic, furry) of Josephus, De bello Judaico, translated into Latin by Hegesippus.
Binding: Eighteenth century. Edges gilt. Green goatskin gold-tooled, with a brick-red label.
Good pen-drawn initial for Book 1 (f. 2v), 12-line, in brown, with vigorous foliage swirls, modelled with fine striations, against a bright, multicolored (green, blue, red, maroon) panelled ground; for the Prologue and Books 2-5 (ff. 2r, 37r, 52r, 67v, and 82v), 7- or 5-line initials, in red, blue, green, and light brown with delicate, stylized foliage (f. 2r: also with two stylized heads). On f. 77v, a marginal drawing in red ink of a man pointing to text with a note (13th century) in brown ink "Nota de iniquo Symone.". Rubrics throughout.
Presented to Yale in 1943 by Louis M. Rabinowitz.
Script: Written by a single scribe in elegant French minuscule. Marginalia, including "Nota" marks, by several later hands.
- ff. i + 116 + ii : parchment ; 289 x 214 (230 x 161) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 280
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--France--12th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Hegesippus, Saint, d. ca. 180.
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Jews--History--168 B.C.-135 A.D.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Josephus, De Bello Judaico. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 280.
- Orbis Record
- More Information