Shooting. engraved after an original picture in the possession of Mr. Bradford / [graphic] : Plate Ist
Lewis Walpole Library > Shooting. engraved after an original picture in the possession of Mr. Bradford / [graphic] : Plate Ist
- Shooting. engraved after an original picture in the possession of Mr. Bradford / [graphic] : Plate Ist
- Woollett, William, 1735-1785, printmaker
- Published / Created
- 1st Augt. 1769.
- Publication Place
- [Published] by Thos. Bradford, No. 132 Fleet Street, London, as the act directs
Two men armed with guns (right), one standing while the other sits and loads his gun, prepare for a day of hunting with their two dogs. On the left is a cottage beneath a large crag, possibly Creswell Crags, on the edge of the Welbeck Estate, which feature in many Stubbs paintings
Titled etched below image.
With two stanzas of verse, four lines each, on either side of title: Soon as the grey ey'd Morn's uncertain light, Forsakes dull, Morpehus and the shades of Night ... Vaining each Master charge the murdering gun.
One of a set of four prints showing a day of hunting, with verses below the image beneath each image describing the progression.
Imperfect impression with loss of first(?) word of imprint. Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
- 1 print : sheet 43.3 x 54 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Engravings England London 1769
- engraving with etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Topic)
Game bird hunting
Game bird hunting > England
Hunters > British
Hunting > England
England > London > 1769
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)