[Frontispiece to L'Avare] [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > [Frontispiece to L'Avare] [graphic]
- [Frontispiece to L'Avare] [graphic]
- Van der Gucht, Gerard, 1696-1776, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- John Watts
Hogarth shows Harpagon, the miser, at left, taking time out from the play's climactic scenc to snuff a candle (one is sufficient). Valère (putting on his hat) and Anselm (leaning on the table) are about to discover that they are son and father
Title, state, publisher, and date from Paulson.
Second state with "Act 5. Scene 5" etched below image.
Used as a frontispiece to: Select comedies of Mr. de Molière (London : John Watts, 1732).
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
With ms. note in ink in Horace Walpole's hand(?) below image.
- 1 print : sheet 13.4 x 8.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 2].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- SH Contents H67 no. 1 Box 110
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Annotations (Provenance) 18th century
Engravings England London 1732
Etchings England London 1732
- etching and engraving ;
- Subject (Name)
- Molière, 1622-1673.
Molière, 1622-1673 > Illustrations
England > London > 1732
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ms. notes
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)