Order to summon jurors for trial
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Order to summon jurors for trial
- Order to summon jurors for trial
- Published / Created
The document consists of: one order issued and signed by Thomas Pettus, justice of the peace of Lincoln County, to the sheriff of Lincoln County.
The material consists of nine manuscript documents concerning the trial and conviction of Surry, an African American slave owned by Thomas Montgomery, for the murder of Moses, a slave owned by John Hyatt, in Lincoln County, Kentucky, in 1808.
Purchased from Chapel Hill Rare Books on the Henry R. Wagner Fund, 2007.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2783
- Collection Title
- Documents concerning the trial and conviction of Surry
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume
- Box 1 | Folder 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Legal documents--Kentucky--19th century.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Lincoln County (Ky.)
- Subject (Name)
Montgomery, Thomas 1779-1828
- Subject (Topic)
African Americans--Kentucky--Lincoln County
Trials (Murder)--Kentucky--Lincoln County.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Documents Concerning the Trial and Conviction of Surry. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)