The deserter [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The deserter [graphic]
- The deserter [graphic]
Dickinson, William, 1746 or 1747-1823, printmaker.
Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811, artist.
Dickinson, William, 1746 or 1747-1823, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [1 March 1784]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd March 1st, 1784, by W. Dickinson, engraver & printseller, No. 158 New Bond Street
"A soldier standing leaning on his sword, looking with defiance at the woman and child pleading with him at left as two other soldiers escort her husband away at right, the family cottage behind at left and another woman sitting beside a spinning wheel with an expression of despair; after Bunbury, first published state before publication line altered."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker identified as Dickinson in the British Museum online catalogue.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
Illustration to Charles Dibdin's adaptation of the comic opera The deserter.
Mounted on page 17 in volume 2 of: Etchings by Henry William Bunbury, Esq. and after his designs.
- 1 print : sheet 39.2 x 50 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 49 3563 v.2 (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Volume 2, page 17. Etchings by Henry William Bunbury, Esq. and after his designs. Page 127. Bunbury album.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797, collector. Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811.
- Collection Date
- [Strawberry Hill], [between 1765 and 1792] [London], [between 1780 and 1794]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Stipple engravings England London 1784
Etchings England London 1784
- stipple engraving and etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Dibdin, Charles, 1745-1814.
- Subject (Topic)
Daggers & swords
Dibdin, Charles, 1745-1814 > Illustrations
Daggers & swords
England > London > 1784
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)