Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Encomium, etc
- Encomium, etc
- Jacobus Manas
- Published / Created
- 1720, 1721, 1729.
- Publication Place
Manuscript on paper (watermarks: partial, unidentified) of Jacobus Manas, Encomium of Joannes Constantinus Bassarabas. With Jacobus Manas, Epigram on Joannes Constantinus Bassarabas
Jacobus Manas and the Bassarabas family are mentioned by S. Runciman, The Great Church in Captivity (Cambridge, 1968) pp. 360-84.
Script: Written by two copyists who date their work: 1720, 1721, 1729. Scribe 1 (also Scribe 1 in Beinecke MSS 294, 297, and 300, etc.) wrote ff. iv-4v and gives his name as Constantine Raphael Byzantinus; he dates his work on f. 2v (1721) and on f. 4v (1729). Scribe 2 (ff. 5r-42r) dates his section on f. 5r (1720).
Binding: Eighteenth century. Brown goatskin gold-stamped with portrait heads in a foliage border and flowers in central panel. Title on spine reads Demetrius Moschopo[li]tes (author of the life of Jacobus Manas). A green tie.
- ff. 46 : 149 x 109 (ff. 1-4: 119 x 72; ff. 5-42: 116 x 65) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
Greek, Modern (1453- )
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
- paper ;
- Resource Type
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
- Jacobus Manas.
- Subject (Topic)
Greek poetry, Modern
Greek poetry, Modern > 1453-1800
Manuscripts, Medieval > Connecticut > New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Jacobus Manas, Encomium, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)