Bonus melior optimus, or, The Devil's the best of the bunch [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Bonus melior optimus, or, The Devil's the best of the bunch [graphic]
- Bonus melior optimus, or, The Devil's the best of the bunch [graphic]
- Alternative Title
Devil's the best of the bunch
Devil is the best of the bunch
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
Pether, Thomas, active 1772-1781, artist.
Field & Tuer, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [22 April 1783] and [approximately 1868?]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. April 22d, 1783, by W. Humphrey, No. 227 Strand and Field & Tuer
Lord North, sitting on a large roll inscribed "Budget" offers Charles Fox a spoonful of broth from a bowl in his lap. He warns Fox to "... Be cautious! - a little of my Broth goes a great way ..." Fox, with a fox's head, sits on "Pandora's Box," his right arm round North's shoulder, saying, " ... give me a sup of your soup ..." To the right, a devil squatting on a low stool in front of a fireplace blows bellows at the fire under a large cauldron with more broth in it. A large coalition medal (cf. BMSat 6183) with the likenesses of North and Fox hangs above the mantel
Title etched below image.
Restrike, with "J. Gillray fecit" added in lower right corner. For original issue of the plate, see no. 6219 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Plate from: Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c. [London] : [Field & Tuer], [ca. 1868?]
Cf. Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, page 47.
On leaf 2 of: Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c.
- 1 print : plate mark 25.0 x 36 cm, on sheet 59 x 43 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 836C (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Leaf 2. Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Tuer, Andrew White, 1838-1900, collector.
- Collection Date
- [London] : [Field & Tuer], [ca. 1868?]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1783
Etchings England London 1868
- etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain
- Subject (Name)
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
North, Frederick, Lord, 1732-1792
- Subject (Topic)
Politics and government
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
North, Frederick, Lord, 1732-1792 > Caricatures and cartoons
Great Britain > Politics and government > 1760-1789
England > 1783
England > London > 1868
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)