A mid- on half pay Tower Hill. [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A mid- on half pay Tower Hill. [graphic]
- A mid- on half pay Tower Hill. [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Midshipman on half pay
- Hunt, Charles, active 1825-1857, printmaker
- Field & Tuer, publisher.
- Published / Created
- 1827. and [approximately 1868?]
- Publication Place
- Published by Thos. McLean, 26 Haymarket and Field & Tuer
"A midshipman, no longer young, in shirtsleeves, sits on a padlocked chest blacking a boot. He looks straight before him with a tragic expression. He wears his regulation top-hat, blue trousers, neatly patched, and waistcoat over a white shirt, and sits on the midshipman's coat which he has taken off. On the ground at his feet are a tray for blacking-brushes, a pot labelled Warrens Blacking 30 Strand, a broken dirk, top-boots, and shoes. Behind are houses on Tower Hill, with the moat. Behind (left) is an alehouse, with a pair of trousers hanging as a sign from a projecting flagstaff. Inset in the title is a group of sextant, telescope, a book: . . . ton More, &c, below the pawnbroker's sign of three balls."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from text on earlier state: Engd. & pubd. ... by C. Hunt ...
Restrike, bearing the imprint of the 1827 reissue by Thomas McLean. For original issue of the plate, published 1 June 1825 by Charles Hunt, see no. 14921 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 10
Plate from: Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c. [London] : [Field & Tuer], [ca. 1868?]
On leaf 66 of: Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c.
- 1 print : plate mark 35.0 x 26.3 cm, on sheet 59 x 43 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 724 836C (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Leaf 66. Caricatures drawn & etched by those celebrated artists Gillray, Rowlandson, Cruikshanks, &c.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Tuer, Andrew White, 1838-1900, collector.
- Collection Date
- [London] : [Field & Tuer], [ca. 1868?]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1827
Aquatints England London 1868
Etchings England London 1868
- etching and aquatint with stipple ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Tower Hill (London, England),
- Subject (Topic)
Brooms & brushes
Tower Hill (London, England)
Sailors > British
Brooms & brushes
England > 1827
England > London > 1868
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)