ALS to Thomas Ringgold (re his plantation in Louisiana). xerox copy
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > ALS to Thomas Ringgold (re his plantation in Louisiana). xerox copy
- ALS to Thomas Ringgold (re his plantation in Louisiana). xerox copy
- Ringgold, Thomas W
- Published / Created
- 1846 February 23
Box 1 contains the letters and broadside. Box 2 contains preservation photocopies made by the library.
Correspondence and papers created by Zachary Taylor relating to his military activities. The correspondence includes autograph letters, signed, and letters, signed, by Taylor to military and government correspondents, including Thomas W. Ringgold; Jefferson Davis; James K. Polk; Roger Jones, Adjutant General of the United States Army; and Thomas Sidney Jessup. Also included is an autograph letter, signed, to Judge Thomas Butler of Louisiana regarding Taylor's reflections on the Battle of Buena Vista against Mexican forces commanded by Antonio López de Santa Anna, 1847 March 6, and letters describing Taylor's travels to his family members, including his daughter, Mary Elizabeth "Betty" Taylor Dandridge and his brother, Hancock Taylor. The papers also include a printed broadside proclamation, signed by Taylor, beginning "Proclamacion por el general comandante del Exercito de los Estados Unidos de America a la nacion Mejicana" and regarding the Mexican War, circa 1846.
Gift of Frederick W. Beinecke, 1960-1971. Purchased from Morrill on the William Robertson Coe Fund No. 1, 1963 and from Western Hemisphere, Inc. on the Frederick W. and Carrie S. Beinecke Fund for Western Americana, 1969. Source information is recorded on the folders.
Zachary Taylor (1784-1850) was the 12th President of the United States (1849-1850) and an American military leader with a four-decade career that ended with victories during the Mexican War.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2955
- Collection Title
- Zachary Taylor letters
- Collection/Other Creator
- Taylor, Zachary, 1784-1850
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume
- Box 2 | Folder 38
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Zachary Taylor Letters. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)