Devotions in Latin and French
- Devotions in Latin and French
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment (poor quality: many ends, some stitched pieces; trimmed) of Suffrages and Prayers. Reputed to have been made for Marguerite de Valois, duchess of Savoy (1523-74), though there is no evidence of this within the manuscript.
Binding: 16th-17th centuries. Resewn on four very small vegetable fiber cords. The spine of the cover shows that the earlier supports were nearly flat and double and that there were two half-bands near head and tail. Red edges. Covered in yellow/brown calf, blind-tooled with a central panel filled with strap work inside floral borders. A rectangle of leather near the center is painted red and "Margveritte de Savoye" is tooled near the head of the lower board. The cover has been made into a case or hollow-backed binding.
Forty-six miniatures of very poor quality, the majority 10- to 8-lines, rectangular and full width of folio, framed in brown ink; four others (ff. 42v, 53r, 73v, and 104v) 5- to 4-lines, square, in gold frames edged in blue. 4- to 3-lines initials, ff. 1r-7v only, silver or gold on magenta or blue irregular grounds, with gold or silver filigree. 2- and 1-lines initials in red. Line-fillers in red and brown floral patterns. Rubrics throughout.
Script: Written in batarde by several persons.
ii, 107, 1 leaves
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 314
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, French
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Devotions. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 314.
- Orbis Record
- More Information