Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Rothschild Canticles
- Rothschild Canticles
- Published / Created
- s. XIII/XIV [turn of the 14th century]
- Publication Place
- Flanders or the Rhineland
An intensely illustrated florilegium of meditations and prayers drawing from Song of Songs and Augustine’s De Trinitate, among other texts, the Rothschild Canticles is remarkable for its full-page miniatures, historiated initials, and drawings, which show the work of multiple artists.
Exhibition Catalogue: W. Cahn and J. Marrow, eds., "Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts at Yale: A Selection," Yale University Library Gazette 52 (1978), pp. 202-03, no. 29, pl. 12 of f. 84r. Jeffrey F. Hamburger, The Rothschild Canticles: Art and Mysticism in Flanders and the Rhineland circa 1300 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1990).
Manuscript on parchment (uneven quality, severely trimmed) of a Florilegium comprised of a series of meditations and prayers. The text, apparently a unicum, is a cento of biblical, liturgical, and patristic citations, with some additional material spuriously attributed to St. Bernard. The most important sources are the Song of Songs, the other Wisdom books, the Prophets, and, in the Trinitarian section, Augustine's De Trinitate.
- Bound in two volumes ca. 1966; previously bound in brown leather in a single volume.
- ff. iii + 192 : parchment ; 118 x 84 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 404
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Fathers of the church
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Rothschild Canticles. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 404.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information