Fasti christianae religionis
- Fasti christianae religionis
- Lazzarelli, Ludovico, 1450-1500
- Published / Created
- s. XV^^ex [late 15th century]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of 1) Dedication to Ferdinand of Aragon and to his son Alphonse, Duke of Calabria. 2) Dialogue between Lazarelli and his Muse. 3) Books 1-3 on methods of counting time, moveable feasts, the ages of the world, the Jewish patriarchs, popes (the latest, Paul II, 1464-71), etc. 4) Calendar of moveable feasts in 1476 and November-June of 1477. 5) Books 4-16, March through February, and final book entitled Iudicium. 6) Calendar, March through February, with two series per month, the first with Christian feasts, the second with agricultural, zodiacal and historical (Roman and Jewish) information. 7) Thirteen poems by others in honor of Lazarelli. Eleven poets are represented; most of those identified are associated with the Accademia Pomponiana in Rome in the 1480's.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Worn red velvet case.
Eighteen miniatures, the final six sketched in but unfinished, by an accomplished artist whose identity remains uncertain. The miniatures are usually framed in a pink or mauve egg-and-dart molding and a thin gold band. Dedicatory inscription in gold Roman letters on a marble-patterned panel appears on f. 7r. One historiated initial, below inscription, 10-line, of the author at work: gold, edged in black, against a purple and pink quartered ground with pink and purple filigree; all framed in green. In lower margin, supported by putti, is the coat-of-arms of Ferdinand of Aragon, King of Naples.
Four initials all'antica, ff. 1r, 70r, 102r, 222v, 14- to 7-line, gold, black, purple, pink, orange and green with flowers and acanthus. Ten white-vine initials, ff. 45r, 58r, 88v, 115r, 137v, 155v, 170v, 182r, 200r and 213v, 10- to 8-line, colors as above. Numerous 4- to 2-line initials, gold, darkly edged in black, on orange-, pink-, and blue-flecked grounds, with guide-letters; some with faces drawn in interior. 2- and 1-line initials, gold, red, and blue with acanthus serifs. 1-line paragraph marks red or blue. Running titles in yellow, red, and blue. Rubrics in margins in red, blue, and purple. KL monograms, 3-line, yellow, red, and blue.
Script: Written in well formed humanistic script below the top line.
- ff. i + ii + 246 + ii + i : parchment ; 215 x 130 (152 x 85) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 391
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Lazarelli, Ludovico
- Subject (Topic)
Christian literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Fasts and feasts
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Ludovico Lazarelli, Fasti Christianae Religionis. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 391.
- Orbis Record
- More Information