Book of Hours (fragment).
- Book of Hours (fragment).
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript fragment on parchment of a book of hours containing St. Nicholas (6 November) and St. Catharine of Alexandria (25 November).
Decoration: two miniatures of mediocre quality, one for each saint; the miniature of St. Nicholas shows him in bishop's clothing, holding a staff and a book, and standing next to a tub with two children in it; St. Catharine is depicted as crowned, holding a book and a sword; on the floor behind her is the wheel upon which she was tortured; the antiphons and orations begin with a 2-line initial in gold on an alternating ground of blue with white filigree or red; punctuated with the punctus; hyphenation is in the same ink as the text; rubrics written in red minuscule; upper, lower, and outer borders decorated with blue and gold vines, red vines with blue and red or gold and blue with gold flowers in the inner margin on the recto only.
Gift of Henrietta C. Bartlett in 1954.
Script: written in gothic script (littera textualis).
- ff. 1 : parchment ; 185 x 138 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 483.3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--France--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Books of hours.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscript Fragments in Beinecke Library.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Book of Hours (fragment). General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information