- Gradual (fragment).
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1499].
- Publication Place
- Low Countries,
- Manuscript fragment on parchment of a gradual in Latin with rubrics partially in Dutch containing the Vigil of St. Andrew (29 November) and St. Andrew (30 November).
Decoration: 4-line historiated initial "D" in blue on a dark red ground bordered with gold; the initial, of workshop quality and badly rubbed and damaged by water, shows Christ standing on the shore with Andrew and Peter in a boat; the extant margins on the recto are decorated with blue and gold vines from which come pink, green, and gold flowers; rubrics written in red in a less formal script than the text; punctuated with the punctus; words and syllables are separated by horizontal strokes in red; the foliation is written in red in the center of the upper margin of the recto.
Gift of Henrietta C. Bartlett in 1954; according to De Ricci, Bartlett obtained with fragment from Maggs.
In Latin and Dutch.
Script: written in gothic script (littera textualis formata).
- ff. 1 : parchment ; 183 x 158 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 483.5
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--Belgium--15th century.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Netherlands--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Liturgy.
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscript Fragments in Beinecke Library.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Gradual (fragment). General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information