- Petrarca, Francesco, 1304-1374
- Published / Created
- s. XV^^3/4 [3rd quarter 15th century]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of Petrarch, Trionfi.
Binding: Eighteenth century. Gilt, gauffered edges. Red calf, gold-tooled with a ribbon border, acorns in the corners and a diced central ornament.
Script: Written by one scribe in humanistic bookhand.
Six fine miniatures. Each miniature, 12- to 9-line, is rectangular, framed with a thin band of burnished gold (except on f. 39r, a square 14-line miniature in a purple frame edged on both sides with gold). On f. 3v, a full border: putti with swags in upper margin [trimmed], white-vine ornament in side and lower margins, the ground predominantly blue, with some green and pink and with white dots; in outer and lower margin, a gold trellis, with polygonal medallions at corners and midpoints, containing a capital I, and the busts of a child, youth, and young woman; finely drawn animals (stag, goat, panther, rabbit, and fox) superimposed over border. In the lower margin of f. 1r is a coat-of-arms (effaced), supported by four putti and with birds in surrounding vine ornament. For the other miniatures, partial borders with dark blue, green, pink and gold flowers and gold dots and hair-spray. Small medallions containing the letters I, A, C, O, P, O incorporated into successive borders form the name Iacopo (probably the man who commissioned the volume). 3-line initials of gold, infilled green and pink, with delicate white filigree, against blue grounds. Headings and initial of each tercet in gold.
- ff. ii + 58 + i : parchment ; 197 x 133 (122 x 79) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 438
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Petrarca, Francesco,--1304-1374
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Italian poetry--To 1400
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Francesco Petrarca, Trionfi. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 438.
- Orbis Record
- More Information