Virtues and Vices, exempla
- Virtues and Vices, exempla
- Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375
- Published / Created
- [between 1400 and 1425]
- Publication Place
- Northern Italy
- Manuscript on paper (coarse, thick) of 1) Commentary on selections from Seneca the Elder, Controversiae, beginning imperfectly in I.3. 2) 300 exempla. 3) Gualterus Angelicus, Fabulae. 4) More than 100 extracts about the Virgin Mary, and other topics. 5) Extracts about virtues and vices derived primarily from Gregory the Great, Dialogi. 6) Exempla drawn from Walter Burley, De vita et moribus philosophorum. Arts. 7-18: collection of epitaphs.
2-line plain initials, paragraph marks and headings, in red, throughout; some marginalia in red.
Binding: Nineteenth century, Italy (?). Limp vellum case made from a document; text not legible, but docketing note visible under ultra-violet light on upper cover: "N. 167".
Folio 151 damaged, with loss of text.
Purchased from C. A. Stonehill in 1953 by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Written by a single scribe in semi-cursive gothic bookhand, above top line. Arts. 8-18 added by one or more contemporary hands.
Watermarks, in gutter: similar to Briquet Monts 11854 and unidentified mountain (?).
- ff. i + 151 + i : paper ; 216 x 145 (165 x 100-115) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 80
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Mary,--Blessed Virgin, Saint
Seneca, Lucius Annaeus,--ca. 55 B.C.-ca. 39 A.D
- Subject (Topic)
Conduct of life--Early works to 1800
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 80. and Virtues and Vices, Exempla. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information