Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea, the North Atlantic Ocean, the Black Sea, and the northwestern African coast.
- Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea, the North Atlantic Ocean, the Black Sea, and the northwestern African coast.
- Becharius, Franciscus.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- [Genoa] :
"Francischus becharius cuius lanue [con]posuit cartam presentem i[n] civitate Saone millessimo ccc̊c tercio de mense febry."
Contains one compass rose.
Decoration: city views with banners.
Imperfect: left edge torn and repaired with manuscript (17th century?) paper waste.
Includes degrees of latitude along left edge: 26°N to 55°N.
Pen-and-ink in black, red, blue and green.
Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines.
Scale of leagues at upper and lower edges. Includes two additional bar scales, "Duitse mylen" and "Spaenis mylen."
Title devised by cataloger.
- 1 map on 2 sheets : manuscript, color, vellum ; 80 x 127 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Scale approximately 1:4,500,000
- (W 20°--E 42°/N 56°--N 27°)., -020.000000, 027.000000, 042.000000, 056.000000, 4500000, and a
- Call Number
- Art Storage 1980 158
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscript waste (Binding)
- Resource Type
- Maps, Atlases & Globes
- Subject (Geographic)
Black Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800.
Mediterranean Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800.
North Atlantic Ocean--Maps--Early works to 1800.
- Subject (Topic)
Nautical charts--Black Sea--Early works to 1800.
Nautical charts--Mediterranean Sea--Early works to 1800.
Nautical charts--North Atlantic Ocean--Early works to 1800.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record