Scrutinium scripturarum, etc.
- Scrutinium scripturarum, etc.
- Paulus de Sancta Maria, 1353-1435
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Johann Schall
- Manuscript on parchment (hair side quite yellow) of Paulus de Sancta Maria (of Burgos; 1353-1435), Scrutinium Scripturarum. With Passages concerning the conversion of Jews to Christianity; (a) unidentified; (b) Letter of Pope Gregory I to Pascasius, bishop of Naples.
Binding: 18th-19th centuries. Red goatskin, with green, gold-tooled labels. Yellow edges.
Crudely executed initial and full border on f. 9r: gold initial, 11-line, on blue rectangular ground, with white vine-stem ornamentation highlighted in green; border in gold, blue, pale pink, mauve and green, consisting of swirling acanthus leaves, flowers, birds, gold dots and leaves around bar border in upper and outer margin, and with putti supporting laurel wreath (arms effaced) in lower margin. One penwork initial of pathetic quality, 8-line, red and blue divided body accompanied by red and blue penwork designs, on f. 125v. Table of contents (art. 1) and headings throughout, in bright red. Remains of notes to rubricator.
Script: Arts. 1 and 3 written below top line in fere-humanistic script by a single scribe who frequently erased and rewrote the text; art. 2 added in another hand. Some later marginalia.
281 x 206 (190 x 128) mm.
I-XIX^^10, XX^^12 (-12, a blank)
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 353
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Naples (Italy)
- Subject (Name)
- Paulus de Sancta Maria
- Subject (Topic)
Conversion--Christianity--Early works to 1800
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Paulus de Sancta Maria, Scrutinium Scripturarum, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 353.
- Orbis Record
- More Information