Songs and verses upon several occasions, [ca. 1680?].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Songs and verses upon several occasions, [ca. 1680?].
- Songs and verses upon several occasions, [ca. 1680?].
- Rochester, John Wilmot, Earl of, 1647-1680
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1680?]
- Publication Place
Manuscript on paper, in a single hand, of about 59 satirical poems and songs by John Wilmot Earl of Rochester, John Oldham, John Dryden, Aphra Behn, and others. Poems include Rochester's Satyr Against Man, Upon Nothing, and Tunbridge Wells; Dryden's MacFlecknoe; Shadwell's Upon A Late Fallen Poet; and George Etherege's Ephelia to Bajazet. The volume also contains a number of satirical songs, such as A New Ballad To the Tune of Chivey Chace and A New Ballad to an Old Tune Call'd Sage Leafe.
Binding: full sheep.
Film: MS vault microfilms 53.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
Inscribed on title page: "Hansen."
Pages 35-44, 63-66, 77-86, 115-132, 153-158, 161-184 and 195-212 have been cut out.
- 1 v. (406 p.) ; 21 x 16 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Osborn b105
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Commonplace books
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Social life and customs--17th century
- Subject (Name)
Behn, Aphra, 1640-1689
Dryden, John, 1631-1700
Etherege, George, Sir, 1635?-1691
Oldham, John, 1653-1683
Rochester, John Wilmot, Earl of,--1647-1680
Shadwell, Thomas, 1642?-1692
- Subject (Topic)
Ballads, English--17th century
English poetry--17th century
Satirical verse, English
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Songs and Verses upon Several Occasions. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)