- Historia scholastica
- Petrus, Comestor, 12th cent
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment, illuminated, in several proto-Gothic bookhands, of the Historia Scholastica, probably produced in the scriptorium of the monastery of Sutton-at-Hone. The text is complete but does not contain Comestor's later "additions" to the original chapters.
Binding: 19th century full paneled calf.
Ex libris Benedict, Vicar of Sutton. Ex libris Cathedral Priory of St. Andrew, Rochester, Kent. Ex libris Philip Mainwaring, Esq. of Over Peover. Ex libris Sir Henry Mainwaring. Ex libris Royal Archaeological Institute. Ex libris Warrington Public Library. Purchased from Les Enluminures on the James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Fund, 2003.
Illuminated initials; rubricated.
Ownership: Benedict, Vicar of Sutton; Cathedral Priory of St. Andrew, Rochester, Kent; Philip Mainwaring, Esq. of Over Peover; Sir Henry Mainwaring. Also Royal Archaeological Institute and Warrington Public Library.
Text is heavily glossed in several hands.
- 1 vol. (244 l). ; 33 cm. x 23 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fa38
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Cathedral Priory of St. Andrew,--Rochester, Kent--Ownership
Mainwaring, Philip,--Esq. of Over Peover--Ownership
Royal Archaeological Institute--Ownership
Warrington Public Library--Ownership
- Subject (Topic)
Bible--Commentaries--Early works to 1800
Illumination of books and manuscripts, English
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Petrus Comestor, Historia Scholastica. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information