Journal of a voyage around Cape Horn, 1839 Oct 11-1841 Feb 5.
- Journal of a voyage around Cape Horn, 1839 Oct 11-1841 Feb 5.
- Alternative Title
- Incidents of a whaling voyage.
- Olmsted, Francis Allyn, 1819-1844
- Published / Created
- 1839 October 11-1841 February 5
Holograph manuscript journal, with corrections and revisions, illustrated with drawings and maps in watercolors and in pen and ink. Volume one describes Olmsted's experiences as a passenger on the whaler North America during a voyage from New London, Connecticut, to Honolulu. Volume two continues his account of his stay in Honolulu and describes his return voyage, with several missionaries, to New York on the cargo vessel Flora. Accompanying volume two are six additional sheets written in holograph. The journal, revised and with new illustrations, was published as Incidents of a Whaling Voyage (New York: D. Appleton, 1841).
- Title written as: Journal of a Voyage Around Cape Horn, 1840.
- 1 volume : color illustrations ; 20 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- GEN MSS VOL 151
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
journals (accounts): diaries (AAT)
Maps in books
- Subject (Geographic)
- Hawaii--Description and travel
- Subject (Name)
Flora (Barque : New York)
North America (Whaler : New London, Conn.)
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record