Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus
- Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus
- Published / Created
- [between 1400 and 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of Books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus, preceded by prologues. With two short prayers.
16th-century inscription of Heinrich Schkor von Stranov on verso of front flyleaf: "1542/ diss puechle gehert zu dem Edlen vnd Vesten [?] hainrichen schkor [followed by hole in parchment] von stranoff [Stranov in Bohemia] derzait haubtman zu prukh an der layta [Bruck an der Leitha, Southeast Austria]/ 15 A 47 [sic]...".
Acquired from B. M. Rosenthal in 1959 by Thomas E. Marston.
Binding: Fifteenth century, Bohemia. Sewn on three supports, with two half bands near head and tail, fastened to wooden boards. Yellow edges and kermes pink place marks. Covered in brown calf, blind-tooled with floral designs, with a central and four large corner fittings on each board. Spine: supports defined with double fillets; four leafy flower bud tools pointing inward in the two central panels. Two fastenings, the catches on the upper board and the lower one cut in for tawed skin, cream colored straps (only stubs remain). Small pieces of liturgical manuscript (Northern Italy, 14th century) used for front and rear pastedowns. Head and tail of spine and the upper joint very unobtrusively repaired.
Covered in brown calf, blind-tooled with floral designs, with a central and four large corner fittings on each board.
For prologues and beginning of each book partial borders constructed of a thin bar, unburnished gold, pink or green with burnished gold balls, terminating in sprays of stylized foliage, green, pink, and blue with gold accents. One large illuminated initial, f. 1r, 13-line, blue with light blue foliage shading against a red and pink ground; foliage serifs in green. 6 smaller illuminated initials, blue, pink, green or gold against blue or pink ground with white or gold filigree and/or gold crosshatching. Numerous pen-and-ink initials, 2-line, alternate in blue with red penwork designs and gold with blue penwork designs. Running titles in red and blue. Headings in red. Initials touched with yellow.
Script: Written in hybrida script by a single scribe. Arts. 2-3 added by later hands.
Small pieces of liturgical manuscript (Northern Italy, s. XIV) used for front and rear pastedowns.
Written in hybrida script by a single scribe. Arts. 2-3 added by later hands.
- ff. 166 + ii : parchment ; 128 x 85 (80 x 50) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 245
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Bible.--O.T.--Apocrypha.--Wisdom of Solomon
Bible.--O.T.--Song of Solomon
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 245.
- Orbis Record
- More Information