De septem verbis Domini in cruce, De laudibus B. Mariae virginis
- De septem verbis Domini in cruce, De laudibus B. Mariae virginis
- Arnald, Abbot of Bonneval
- Published / Created
- [between 1150 and 1175]
- Publication Place
- Northern France,
- Early ex-libris on f. 52v in light ink: "iste liber est de fontibus geradi [sic]. and Manuscript on parchment of Arnald, abbot of Bonneval, 1) Tractatus de septem verbis domini in cruce. 2) Libellus de laudibus de B. Mariae virginis.
Binding: 13th-14th centuries (?), France. Original sewing on four tawed skin, slit straps laced from out to inside the boards and wedged at an angle. Pastedowns sewn with book. The upper board is beech, the lower oak. The grooves on the inside of the boards have been burned as well as gouged out. A blue and natural color endband is sewn in a chevron pattern. The primary core is laced into grooves parallel to the edges of the boards but not fastened and the endband is sewn through the cover. Fragment of an unidentified text (France, 1125-ca. 1150) used for front pastedown; portion of a document dated 1225 (?) involving Theobaldus, abp. of Rouen (1221-29) and the Cistercian nunnery of Fontaine-Guerard (Fontes Guerardi) for rear pastedown. Covered in very thick tawed skin, neatly patched and pieced out. The turn-ins are nailed near the corners. There are two strap-and-pin fastenings, the pins on the lower board and the kermes pink, tawed skin strap ending in a catch with a twisted, tawed skin cord and tassel attached, later additions (?). Remains of later title, in ink, on spine.
Red initial, 4-line, with red and green arabesque designs on f. 1r; red monochrome initials with simple decorative designs, ff. 2v, 9r, 14r; less elaborate red initials, ff. 18v, 23r, 29v, 47r. Heading in red for art. 1 only. Initials stroked with red.
Script: Written in a neat late caroline minuscule that is written above the text ruling, not on it.
ff. 52 : parchment ; 220 x 150 (156 x 98) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 268
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Mary,--Blessed Virgin, Saint--Devotion to
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Arnald, Abbot of Bonneval, De Septem Verbis Domini in Cruce, De Laudibus B. Mariae Virginis. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 268.
- Orbis Record
- More Information