Collection of Texts on St. Barbara
- Collection of Texts on St. Barbara
- Alternative Title
- Liber gloriose uirginis et martyris christi barbare
- Published / Created
- [between 1470 and 1480]
- Publication Place
- Northern Belgium
- Manuscript on parchment (thick, but good quality) of a Collection of Texts on St. Barbara. With a miscellany of texts including patristic works, moralistic poems, and prophecies.
Binding: ca. 1500, Belgium. Covered in brown calf with corner tongues over wooden boards, a central panel diapered with blind-tooled triple fillets. Center and corner fittings and title written in a careful gothic bookhand under a brass-framed window on the upper board: "liber gloriose uirginis et martyris christi barbare". Lower board cut in for the straps which are attached with metal plates. Hasps of a chain on the lower board. Rebacked.
Script: Written in a regular heavy hybrida formata script with features of bastarda by a single scribe who placed small circular flourishes above the letter u.
- ff. 73 : parchment ; 214 x 148 (135 x 96) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 287
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
illuminated manuscripts (AAT)
Micrography (Writing technique)
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Barbara, Saint
- Subject (Topic)
Christian poetry, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Fathers of the church
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval --Connecticut --New Haven
Prophecies --Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- More Information