De consolatione philosophiae; 1410.
- De consolatione philosophiae; 1410.
- Boethius, d. 524 and Walton, John, d. 1410
- Published / Created
- English verse version of De consolatione philosophiae by John Walton. and John Walton's translation of Boethius' De consolatione philosophiae. Written on vellum in Anglicana formata script in England in the first quarter of the fifteenth century. The manuscript lacks the first quire, including the Preface and Prologue as well as stanzas 1-67.
Binding: contemporary tawed leather on cushion wooden boards, re-backed and re-covered, preserving original sides.
Decoration includes two- to four-line pen-flourished initials.
Imperfect: "The manuscript lacks the first quire, including the Preface and Prologue as well as stanzas 1-67."
The manuscript was copied by a scribe whose hand is also seen in several other vernacular manuscripts: Cambridge, Pembroke College, MS 207 (John Gower, Confessio amantis), London, British Library, MS Arundel 119 (Lydgate, Siege of Thebes), and Tokyo, Private Collection, MS 54 (South English Legendary, second hand).
- 1 vol. (104 l.) ; 26 cm. x 17 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Osborn fa43
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Foundation of the Free School and Hospital,--Kirkleatham, Yorkshire--Ownership
Turner, William,--Sir,--d. 1692--Ownership
Walton, John,--d. 1410
- Subject (Topic)
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Middle English poetry
Philosophy and religion
Poetry--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- John Walton, De Consolatione Philosophiae. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information