- [Untitled Kunstbuechlein]
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Germany, possibly the Hartz district
- Manuscript on paper of an untitled Kunstbuechlein containing hundreds of recipes for a variety of alchemical processes, chiefly metallurgical.
Foliation in first section almost entirely illegible
Foliation of volume is difficult due to both mutilated and missing leaves.
On first flyleaf recto: an elaborate pen-drawing of a double coat of arms, probably of a husband and wife of minor German noble families, which may be seen in the photographic reproduction. Above the left coat are the letters ""I.W.G.W."" and above the right, ""I.W.D.G.,"" while the date ""184.108.40.206."" is written below and between the letters.
On the first end flyleaf recto (numbered f. 155) is a table of alchemical symbols possibly by the original copyist.
Standing in a slight landscape with ruined buildings below and between the two coats of arms is a female figure seen in left profile wearing a long dress; in her lowered right hand she holds a banner which bears an inscription: ""Mich beisst der Floch"" [sic], apparently for ""Floh"", i.e., ""The flea bites me""; her left hand has raised the skirt of her dress and is concealed beneath it.
- ff. 152 : paper ; 197 x 155 (136-165 x 123-136) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Mellon MS 40
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- An Untitled Kunstbuechlein. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Witten, Laurence C. and Pachella, Richard. Alchemy and the Occult: A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts from the Collection of Paul and Mary Mellon. Volume Three: Manuscripts, Mellon MS 40.
- Orbis Record
- More Information