Certaine prayers out of the Psalmes, for divers purposes
- Certaine prayers out of the Psalmes, for divers purposes
- Published / Created
- 1584 October 8
- Publication Place
- Cursive bookhand script of the late 16th century. Title page illustrated with columns wreathed with scrolls bearing the date and the inscription ""Christ adsit et praesit,"" and signed by I. S. Bound in thick vellum, with mathematical calculations on back c and Manuscript, on paper, in cursive bookhand, produced in England and dated October 8, 1584. It includes psalms arranged as 66 prayers in prose, songs in praise of Christ's birth and the Lord's supper, metrical versions of 66 psalms by Thomas Sternhold, John Hopkins, and others, and "an exhortation unto ye praise of God to be songe before morning and evening praier."
Bequest of James M. Osborn, 1976.
Binding: thick vellum; mathematical calculations on back cover.
Illustration on title page of columns wreathed with scrolls bearing the date and the inscription "Christ adsit et praesit," and signed by T. S.
On f. 152r, Rose Silvester signed it as her book on July 5, 1649. Next follows the signature of William Silvester and the inscription "his booke and hee that Steles him shall bee hanged upon a hoke as hie as William Silvester can looke."
On the verso of the title page are recorded the births of William Silvester's five children from 1663 to 1673.
On the verso of the title page are recorded the births of William Silvester's five children from 1663 to 1673. On folio 151v, after the exhortation, two hands repeat the last four lines, dated 1649, one by Rose Silvester. On 152r, Rose Silvester signs it
Watermark: pot, Briquet 12725 (Bruges, 1581).
- 1 v. (153 ff.) ; 196 x 157 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn a3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Certaine Prayers out of the Psalmes, for Divers Purposes. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information