[Unidentified sermon or exhortation, in Italian, addressed to a woman]
- [Unidentified sermon or exhortation, in Italian, addressed to a woman]
- Alternative Title
- Life and miracles of the Virgin Mary, etc.
- Anselm, Saint, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1033-1109
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1500]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of 1) Life and miracles of the Virgin Mary. 2) Litanies of the Virgin, of Christ on Ascension Day, of St. Jerome on his feast day. 3) An account of the visions of St. Magnus, and the story of St. Magnus's burial and subsequent translation to the church of San Geremia in Venice. 4) Legend of the three monks in Paradise. 5) Exhortation to suffer illness patiently citing three exempla from St. Gregory's Dialogues. 6) Lists of the 7 works of spiritual mercy, the 7 works of corporal mercy, the 7 sacraments, the 7 virtues, the 7 mortal sins, the 5 senses, the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. 7) Unidentified sermon. 8) Anselm of Canterbury, Commendatio animae. 9) Short unidentified text attributed to Gregory I.
Binding: Sixteenth century, Italy. Original sewing on three tawed skin, kermes pink, slit straps laced through tunnels in the edge to channels on the outside of beech boards and pegged twice. Yellow edges. Plain wound endbands are sewn on tawed skin cores laid in grooves on the outside of the boards. Spine is lined with leather between supports. Covered in brown goatskin, blind-tooled with a triple cross in a central rectangle in concentric frames. Two fastenings; holes from pins on the lower board, the upper one cut in for straps which are fastened with star-headed nails. Spine: supports defined with double fillets; an X of triple fillets in the panels which are bordered with double fillets on the sides.
Crudely executed initials red with blue and/or red penwork designs and vice versa; initials on ff. 7v-8v have green added. Blue headings accompany red initials and red accompany blue. Initial letters stroked with red throughout. Line filler in red, blue and yellow on f. 6r.
Script: Written in small round gothic bookhand, below top line.
ff. i + 48 : parchment ; 201 x 126 (129 x 77) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 256
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--Italy--15th century.--local
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Magnus,--of Anagni, Saint,--d. 254
Mary,--Blessed Virgin, Saint
- Subject (Topic)
Christian literature, Italian
Christian literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Life and Miracles of the Virgin Mary, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 256.
- Orbis Record
- More Information