Journal of Magellan's Voyage
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Journal of Magellan's Voyage
- Journal of Magellan's Voyage
- Pigafetta, Antonio, ca. 1480/91-ca. 1534
- Published / Created
- ca. 1525
- Publication Place
Journal of Ferdinand Magellan's voyage around the world in 1522, written by Antonio Pigafetta, Italian gentleman from Vincenza who survived the trip.
Manuscript on parchment (fine) of A journal of Ferdinand Magellan's voyage around the world in 1522, written by Antonio Pigafetta (ca. 1480/91 - ca. 1534), an Italian gentleman from Vincenza who survived the trip. Beinecke MS 351, the text of which is divided into 57 numbered chapters, is the most complete and most handsomely produced manuscript of the four surviving witnesses to the text; the original, probably in Italian, is now lost.
- Binding: ca. 19th century; red goatskin, gold-tooled. Bound by Duru in 1851 (note on f. i verso).
- ff. i + ii + i + 98 + ii + i : parchment ; 276 x 184 (195 x 122) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 351
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
Maps in books
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Magalhães, Fernão de,--d. 1521
Pigafetta, Antonio,--ca. 1480-ca. 1534
- Subject (Topic)
Navigation --Early works to 1800
Voyages around the world
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Pigafetta, Journal of Magellan's Voyage. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 351.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information