- Bernard, of Clairvaux, Saint, 1090 or 91-1153 and Hugh, of Saint-Victor, 1096?-1141
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1150]
- Publication Place
- Hautecombe (?),
- Manuscript on parchment (thick, holes, end pieces), in two volumes, of a collection of sermons by various writers, including Bernard of Clairvaux, Geoffroi Babion, Jacobus Berengarius, Ivo of Chartres, and Hugh of St. Victor. Written perhaps at the Cistercian abbey of Hautecombe to which it belonged. The manuscript may originally have been a single volume. and Written in the middle of the 12th century, perhaps at the Cistercian abbey of Hautecombe to which it belonged.
Acquired from C. A. Stonehill in 1957 by Thomas E. Marston.
Binding: Nineteenth century, Italy. Backs of quires of both volumes cut in at sewing stations. Sewn on three cords. Paper lining between supports on spine. Red edges. Both volumes half bound in brown mottled calf with bright pink paper sides and two red gold-tooled labels on each volume: "Manuscr. Homiliae Caes. Max. Cod. I [and II]" and "Saecul. XIII". Bound in the same distinctive style as Marston MSS 50, 125, 128, 151, 153, 158, 159 and 197, all of Hautecombe provenance.
Folios 1r and 158v stained with loss of text.
Half bound in brown mottled calf with bright pink paper sides and two red gold-tooled labels on each volume: "Manuscr. Homiliae Caes. Max. Cod. I" The manuscript may have been a single volume before rebinding.
Plain red initials, 4- to 2-line, some with small pearls added to the body of the letter. Spaces for rubrics remain unfilled.
Script: Written in late caroline minuscule by several scribes, above top line.
- Vol. I: i + 88 + i, Vol. II: i + 70 + i : parchment ; 219 x 152 (171 x 104) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 135
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Sermons. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 135.
- Orbis Record
- More Information