Inventions of military machines and other devices
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Inventions of military machines and other devices
- Inventions of military machines and other devices
- Rabbards, Ralph
- Published / Created
Drawings and plans for various implements and instruments, including printing presses.
Manuscript, on paper, in italic script, produced in England after 1591.
Author possibly an English military adventurer who traveled through the Netherlands, Germany, and Italy.
Binding: contemporary brown calf, with gold tooling of Lyonese style with semis of eaglets.
Descriptions of military machines are accompanied by colored illustrations.
Ex libris Rhys Jenkins. Bequest of James M. Osborn, 1976.
In the preface to "The Compound of Alchemy" (Osborn fa16), Rabbards notes that he has "these fortie yeares amongst manie other most commendable exercises and inventions of so warlike Engines, founde out divers devices of rare service, both for Sea and land" and expresses his intention to "impart some other rare experiments of Distillations and Fire-Workes of great service, not hitherto committed in writing or put in practise by any of our nation." This apparently refers to Osborn a8, the only known copy of the work.
Raphe (or Ralph) Rabbards, born slightly before 1531, published "The Compound of Alchemy" by George Ripley (see Osborn fa16) in 1591.
Signature on f. 1 of W. Bayntun, Gray's Inn.
1 v. (92 ff.) 11 cm. x 16.6 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Osborn a8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Military art and science--Early works to 1800
Military art and science--Great Britain--History--16th century
Military art and science--Technological innovations--History
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Raphe Rabbards, Inventions of Military Machines and Other Devices. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information