- Alchemical miscellany
- Alanus, de Insulis, d. 1202, Albertus, Magnus, Saint, 1193?-1280, Arnaldus, de Villanova, d. 1311, Jābir ibn Ḥayyān, and Khālid ibn Yazīd al-Umawī, 7th cent
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1400]
- Publication Place
- Germany or Austria
- 2r-3v : An early example of alchemical music, the Antiphona, by Johannes de Teschen, written in Hufnagelschrift., Manuscript on parchment (palimpsest) of a large collection of medieval alchemies, both speculative and practical. Includes an important group of writings by Johannes of Teschen, notably his Antiphona with musical notation. Also contains works by Arnold of Villanova, Alanus, Geber, Khalid ibn Yazid, and Albertus Magnus., and MS 5 is notable for its large collection of medieval alchemies, both speculative and practical, and especially for the important group of writings by Johannes of Teschen.
Armorial bookplate of Andreas Beham the Elder, dated 1595, engraved by Johann Siebmacher, (d. 1611)
Binding: Fifteenth century, German. Presumably original, of oaken boards covered with red-dyed hide, sides framed by triple blind fillets, additional fillets drawn diagonally to form a pattern of lozenges; the original back laid down on a new backstrip preserving the four original raised bands, plus head and foot bands, which are drawn into the boards, fastened with wooden wedges, and reinforced with strips of parchment (cut from a 13th-century manuscript with faint writing in a very small gothic hand) which are glued down to the inside boards. On both covers single nailholes near the corners and two such holes in the center of each cover indicate the removal of brass cornerpieces and centerpieces; a single brass catch with iron bar, fastened by three brass nails, is preserved in the upper cover, the clasp missing from the lower cover indicated only by a mark. Modern leather label on backstrip, stamped in silver between rules top and bottom: ""ALCHEMICAL MISCELLANY MANUSCRIPT FRANCE 15TH C."".
Important capitals painted in red and blue with occasional filiform decoration, rubricated, and capitals frequently stroked red, but without other ornament or illustration.
Modern pencil foliation throughout with various early pagination/foliation schemes.
Ruled in red ink in two columns of 40 lines each.
Script: Written in Gothica textualis by a careful but ill-formed hand in which differing letter forms are often not discrete, with annotations by a later 15th-century cursive hand and occasional notes by other hands of the same period.
Written space 124 x 98 mm.
- ff. i + 136 : parchment ; 165 x 117 (124 x 98) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Mellon MS 5
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Alchemical Miscellany. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Witten, Laurence C. and Pachella, Richard. Alchemy and the Occult: A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts from the Collection of Paul and Mary Mellon. Volume Three: Manuscripts, Mellon MS 5.
- Orbis Record
- More Information