Ketubah : Yazd, Iran, 1861, October 31
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Ketubah : Yazd, Iran, 1861, October 31
- Ketubah : Yazd, Iran, 1861, October 31
- Published / Created
- 1861 October 31
- Publication Place
- Yazd, Iran
Marriage contract, manuscript, ink on paper, dated 27th of Heshvan 5622 (1862) at Yazd. Text surrounded by floral border. The upper register of the decoration has two small lions with a rising sun in the background of one of the lions, above the lions are two fish, a symbol of fertility. Below the main text of the ketubah, is a statement in Judeo-Persian, written in Hebrew cursive characters, which may concern additional gifts given by the groom. Below this statement there are cartouches, which include the names of seven witnesses.
Bride: Malka bat Akai?
Bridegroom: Mosheh ben Shemu'el.
Witnesses: Yitshak ben David ; Rahamim ben Ya'akov ; Yosef ben Shemu'el Kohen ; and others.
74 x 63 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Hebrew MSS Suppl 64 (Broadside)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Subject (Geographic)
- Yazd (Iran) --Religious life and customs
- Subject (Name)
Malka bat Akai
Mosheh ben Shemu'el
Rahamim ben Ya'akov
Yitshak ben David
Yosef ben Shemu'el Kohen
- Subject (Topic)
Ketubah --Iran --Yazd
Prenuptial agreements (Jewish law)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)