Crustacea / by James D. Dana, A.M., ... ; with a folio atlas of ninety-six plates.
- Crustacea / by James D. Dana, A.M., ... ; with a folio atlas of ninety-six plates.
- Alternative Title
- United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842). United States Exploring Expedition ; v. 13-14. and United States Exploring Expedition, during the years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N. ; v. 13-14
- Dana, James Dwight, 1813-1895.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Philadelphia :
- Printed by C. Sherman,
"After the engraving of the plates of this atlas was completed, a large part of the original drawings were destroyed by fire in Philadelphia. In consequence catastrophe, many of the following plates, which were to have been coloured from the missing drawings, are issued uncoloured"--Preface to Atlas.
"On the geographical distribution of Crustacea": p. -1592.
BEIN ZZc74 844wrb copy 2: Atlas unbound as issued.
By act of Congress, Aug. 26, 1842, the edition of the reports of the U.S. Exploring Expedition was limited to 100 copies. These have "By authority of Congress" on the half-title, and are referred to by Haskell as the "Official issue." Later, the authors themselves, or publishers who might be willing to undertake it, were allowed to issue an additional 150 copies of the various reports, and under this arrangement, from 100 to 150 copies of most of the volumes were published in addition to the 100 copies provided for by the government.
Reprinted in a edition of 100 copies with the same imprint as the "official issue" (see Haskell). This edition lacks "By authority of Congress" on half-title of text and on atlas t.p., and the series numbering on v. 2 incorrectly reads "Vol. XIII ... Part II" instead of "Vol. XIV" (as in first ed.). This edition of the atlas apparently was sold unbound by the author.
Text has half-title: United States Exploring Expedition. Vol. 2 has half-title: Crustacea. Part II.
Text paged continuously.
Works and memoirs consulted in preparation of tables showing the geographical distribution: p. 1591-1592.
- 2 v. : ill., tables, chart ; 33 cm. + 1 atlas (27 p., 96 pl. (part col.) ; 56 cm.)
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- ZZc74 844wrb Atlas
- Collection Note
- Series title: United States Exploring Expedition : during the years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Haskell, H.C. United States Exploring Expedition, 55 and Haskell, H.C. United States Exploring Expedition, 58
- Orbis Record